PHP/FI – The original and first version was created by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1995. Over 14 odd years and many evolutions it has become one of the most dominant programming languages for web development worldwide. Most open source web applications have adopted PHP as their language of choice. There are several factors that make PHP so popular, some of them are:
- Ease of learning: Programming language constructs are easy to understand and there is plenty of material available online.
- Abundance of freely available standard libraries: Several standard reusable code libraries have been made available on the net by PHP enthusiasts, allowing you to reuse code efficiently.
- LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) hosting is affordable.
- Availability of PHP based framework for rapid development (CakePHP)
- Ability to separate presentation layer from business and data layer (smart templates)
- Plenty of people with strong PHP development skillsets